|History and Architecture of North Muskham|
The Prebend of North Muskham was founded between 1108 and 1114; it is therefore likely St Wilfrid’s church had been built by that date.
In the 15th century, Flemish weavers were introduced into the country, some of whom settled in North Muskham and wool production soon became a local industry. Wool merchant, John Barton of Holme, left a Will funding the construction of the North Aisle (a copy of which hangs in the church).
Restorations in 1906 include, the stone work and roof was repaired, and the old lead recast and re-laid, also, the old stained glass releaded The church was fully restored and reopened on the 4th May 1907 at a service attended by the Bishop.
The three arches of the north arcade are supported on octagonal shafted pillars, probably the earliest in Nottingham and have stone seats round the bases which were used by the sick and infirm before benches were introduced into churches.
View Larger Map
St Wilfrid’s is a flourishing church, home to a variety of parish groups and organisations. Regular services of Holy Communion are held at 9.30 on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month and all visitors are welcome.
For further information regarding North Muskham church please contact the churchwarden ; Nicola Talbot (01636 676935)