St Wilfrid's - Kelham

St Wilfrid’s, Kelham, is the smallest church in the Benefice, tucked away in the corner of the extensive grounds of Kelham Hall, currently home to Newark and Sherwood District Council. The church is a popular venue for weddings because of its location. 

History and Architecture of Kelham Church

Kelham Hall is a 19th century baronial mansion built on the site of an earlier manor house in the mid 19thC, although Kelham Church is early medieval in foundation it is dominated by the 18th century modifications.

The Lexington Chapel is on the south side of the Chancel, which contains an enormous marble monument showing a semi-reclining Robert Sutton, Lord Lexington, and Lady Lexington dated 1703.

Kelham Church has an interesting history and many links with Charles 1; indeed, a superb 17th silver chalice said to have been used by him is currently in the Treasury of St Mary Magdalene in Newark. Marks supposedly made by the muskets of Cromwell’s Roundheads during the siege and the Civil War can be seen in the main door of the church.   

 

 Location


View Larger Map

 

Services

Services of Holy Communion are held on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month at 11am, followed by coffee.

Contact 

For information about Kelham church please contact the churchwarden;

Philip Staniforth (01636 703289).

 

 Church History  webpage link

For more detailed information about St. Wilfrid's church Kelham                      follow the link below

http://southwellchurches.history.nottingham.ac.uk/kelham/hintro.php

                                                                                        Living worship, growing disciples and seeking justice